I’m an eagle scout. I played Miles Standish in the third grade Thanksgiving pageant. I volunteer in my community and I served for 11 years on the Roanoke Arts Commission.
I’m a blue devil (Duke) and an anteater (UC Irvine), and I even graduated from a school with no mascot (Hollins). I like Virginia and its people, and I’m still thankful.
By day I coach community teams working to revitalize their downtowns and local economies. Each community has talented, smart people willing undertake adventurous strategies. I learn from them every day.
I love books. Friend me on Goodreads.
I write, and a little of it has been read. Maybe more someday. Some pieces have received recognition:
- The Bay to Ocean Fiction Award, 2010;
- The Tennessee Writers Alliance Short Fiction Award, 2006;
- Nimrod’s Katherine Anne Porter Prize for Fiction, mention, 2006; and
- The James Andrew Purdy Prize for Fiction, 2005.
Professionally, I enjoy my work, and I try to do it well.
- Perry F. Kendig Award Nominee, 2018
- Award of Excellence, Artisan Center of Virginia, 2014
- Employee of the Year, Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development, 2014
- Agency Nominee, Virginia Governor’s Innovation Award, 2014
- Agency Nominee, Virginia Governor’s Customer Service Award, 2013
- Perry F. Kendig Award: Young Professional Arts Supporter, (video), 2011
- Rotary Group Study Exchange (GSE) Fellowship; Tuscany, Italy, 2002
- Team acknowledgement: Leadership Education Award (Housing the Next 10 Million), California Chapter American Planning Association Project Award, 2000
- Sustainable Communities Leadership Program (SCLP) Fellowship, 1999
- NEXUS Research Grant—Sense of Place and Sense of Community in Irvine, CA, 1998-1999
- Navy Achievement Medals: Sustained optimal customer support, 1994; Holy Loch deactivation, 1992
- US Navy, ROTC Full Scholarship, 1986
- Eagle Scout, Boy Scouts of America, 1986